Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Logic Defied

It's been a minute since my last post. Life has a way of pulling me in several directions at once and this, sometimes, results in me only being able to focus on so many things at once. I know, surprising, right?

Well, I could tell you that in this first month of my Total Body Makeover I've dropped 16 lbs., which would make mathematical sense, as my goal is to lose 2lbs. per month. However, I'm not able to report such to you. Upon checking my weight yesterday, I am holding steady at 253lbs., two mere lbs. from my starting weight. However, there is a silver lining here...my clothes are still falling off of me and I'm growing smaller by the day.

I completed the Clear Lake International Triathlon (Sprint) last Saturday, 27 August 2011, and had increased my training time on the bike, in the Houston heat. This equated to a lot of sweating and donating quite a bit of my body's water to the atmosphere. Being so, I've managed to get rid of a lot of excess water weight and turn more fat to muscle. Hence, the changes in my physique. With that, I am happy. Not to mention, there were 14 competitors in the 200lb + group. I was 10th out of the water; 11th of the bike; and last in the run. (the heat was insane and I walked the 1st mile). That being said, I finished 13th in my grouping. I wasn't first, but I sure as hell wasn't last either. Accomplishment!

However, I'm still battling the pear shape and know that changes in this area cannot come from exercise alone. Diet, diet, and diet are the three most important areas for change here. (no, I don't mean Atkins or South Beach; rather, lifestyle change). I'm continuing to log my daily meals and have been satisfied with my paradigm shift toward healthier eating. Yet, I realize that I must put forth more effort into monitoring my daily calories while swimming, biking, running, and cross-training. 90% diet + 10% exercise = the physique I long for.

More importantly, I've managed to stop watching the scale on a daily basis. That's a recipe guaranteed to lead to insanity. Instead, I'm watching me (in the mirror as I dress) and attentively listening as I receive compliments from others about the slimness of my face and overall reduction of my frame. That's motivation. Additionally, I've been able to notice the increased muscle tone in my legs and arms.

Where does this leave me now? Well, last Thursday, I went to the track with a few co-workers and ran ten 100yard strides. I hit the weights over the Labor Day weekend and incorporated quite a few P90X exercises to increase my core strength and flexibility. And, this AM, I was up at 4 to get a good stretch out and will run on the beach or track this PM. Eat healthier; work out daily; and watch the results! I also have a 10K race over the Kemah bridge on the 17th of this month and have already registered to run another 10K over the Galveston Causeway on 22 October 2011. I plan to complete the 2nd Annual LaPorte by the Bay 1/2 marathon in December (last year was a blast).

Those things said, my philosophy is simple: I didn't put it on over night so I'll have to be patient and persistent as I take it off and shape my mind and body.

I'm one day closer!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your accomplishments and the inspiration. ...it's one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete